In the internet world, everyone is asking for your email address for any type of search, whether there’s a valid reason or not. Wherever you are going on the internet from newsgroups, mailing lists or discussion boards, to shopping or voucher sites or simply to download a piece of freeware, everybody wants it because they know the value of an email or contacts. And that’s how the problem starts, which is every time you give your temp email addresses, you run the risk of being bombarded with spam, unwanted emails etc.
You might be able to unsubscribe from some of these messages, but sometimes it can take weeks to get off the mailing list, or more often than not the option just doesn’t work at all. But thankfully there’s a solution by using disposable email or temp email (temporary email) addresses.
Why Temp Email (temporary email) ?
The idea of creating a temp email (temporary email address) that you can use it for a small interval of time and prevents your account from spam emails. And then you don’t have to use it again.
If you’re trying to signup for a message board or streaming/sharing logins, it’s also worth checking sites like ButMeNot or Shares Your Pass to see if somebody has already shared one you can use. The downside is anyone can login to the address you create without a password, even another user who accidentally creates the same name. This means for privacy reasons you shouldn’t send anything personal or private through them. Make sure you are not using common names like Raymond, and use more obscure ones such as Raymondcc2468cc where possible.
A few sites do not offer you the choice of login name and they randomly generate a username for you, some others will offer password protection for the account which offers better privacy. Below are 15 websites that offer free temp email services along with what each service has to offer. They are listed in no particular order.
- Temporary emails removal time depends on of server load (few hours to few days).
- Own choice of login name of 1 to 25 characters.
- Available RSS feed for your inbox.
- A Firefox add-on is available.
- Can add time limited temporary email forwarding.
- Emails removed after anywhere between 2 hours and 3 days. The smaller the email, the longer it stays on the system.
- Your own choice of login name.
- Able to send anonymous email.
- Offers more secure inbox by password protecting the email address.
- Email Forwarding to your real address available.
- Emails removed after 5 days.
- Holds only 10 emails at once in the inbox (no attachments allowed).
- Own choice of login name up to 25 characters.
- Random name suggestions.
- Available RSS and Atom feeds.
- All emails are stripped of attachments (files/images), max size 120K.
- Can be used in a POP email client like Outlook, Windows Live Mail etc.
- Widget Maker to add a mailbox to your web page.
- Random or user created a username with a choice of domains.
- Domains with (PW) can password protect the inbox.
- Read emails are deleted after 7 days, unread after 30 days.
- Mailbox has its own spam block list.
- Able to forward and reply to received messages.
- Attachments of 2MB accepted.
- RSS Feed and ATOM Feed available.
- Account/address remains open for 90 days after last mail check.
- Sadly parts of the English web pages are still in German.
- Can choose your own user name.
- The account is password protected for better security.
- The expiration time of inbox: 24hrs, 1 week, 1 month, 5 months, 1 year.
- Option to send new mail notifications to a real email address.
- Expiration can be altered in settings with option to also “Expire now”.
- Other useful Hide My Ass functions include Free Web Proxy and File Upload.
- User or random generated address with 4 domains to choose from.
- Temporary addresses deleted 24 hours after the last check for email.
- Messages permanently deleted after 24 hours.
- Can keep email address active by checking for mail once a day.
- Sister site to the Fake Name Generator which creates a completely fake identity.
- Unchecked mails held for 1 hour.
- Checked mails held for another extra hour.
- Beta mail sender can send mails up to 150MB.
- Choice of random or custom login name.
- Can create alias of address.
- Generates random mail address for you.
- Expires after 10 minutes.
- Can click to extend for a further 10 minutes.
- Can reply to emails.
- 40+ languages.
- Randomly generated temporary email address, can be instantly changed.
- Messages deleted 24 hours after you close the AirMail browser window/tab.
- Multilingual with 10 languages available.
- Inbox refreshed every 10 seconds, an alert will sound on new email.
- Multilingual with 12 languages.
- Address removed from 30 mins up to 1 year.
- Needs real email address.
- Incoming emails automatically forwarded to your real email.
- Address expires in 30 minutes.
- Can extend another 30 minutes.
- Able to generate random or custom email address.
- Can reply to received emails from temporary address.
- Forward emails to your real address for 1 hour up to 4 weeks.
- Own choice of login name.
- Messages and temporary email address expire after 14 days.
- Random or user-generated a temporary email address.
- Messages kept for 8 days.
- Firefox, IE extensions and Opera widget available.
- Setup alias for your inbox.
- Can send emails to other YopMail addresses.
- Optimized page for mobile devices available.
- Emails removed after selected period of 12 hours up to 3 months.
- Generates random login name for you.
- Email forwarded so requires a real email address.
- Can create an alias.
- Temporary email removed after user specified period of 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week or 1 month.
- Generates random login name for you.
- Needs authenticating via real email address.
- Email Forwarding option.
We hope this post will help you from preventing your email accounts from spammers. And use cautions with temp email services as most aren’t secure enough to send private information and should be used for more simple messages, such as getting a free giveaway key from a company like Ashampoo for example, to avoid the spam that comes with it.